Thursday, August 28, 2008

Yes, We Can


“Now is not the time for small plans.”

Not to go all TV news anchor on you, but I got goosebumps watching Obama’s acceptance speech at the DNC tonight. (And yes, I was a little teary when he talked about Dr. King at the end.) Obama was strong, he was fierce, he had an urgency to his message that was so powerful. Yes, he’s charismatic, but it’s really not about personal charm so much as personal conviction. Watching him, I really do believe that he believes in his message of change. I am ready to be hopeful, ready to be inspired. I am ready for a political discourse about compassion and optimism, instead of the many years of war and fear-mongering that we have lived through.

Jason is the political prognosticator in this relationship, so I don’t have any brilliant analyses to share. I just have my overwhelming hope that change will come. Some of my favorite segments of his talk:

That's the promise of America – the idea that we are responsible for ourselves, but that we also rise or fall as one nation; the fundamental belief that I am my brother's keeper; I am my sister's keeper. That's the promise we need to keep. That's the change we need right now.
* * *
America, we are better than these last eight years. We are a better country than this.
* * *
America, our work will not be easy...What has also been lost is our sense of common purpose – our sense of higher purpose. And that's what we have to restore. But I stand before you tonight because all across America something is stirring. What the nay-sayers don't understand is that this election has never been about ME. It's been about YOU.

For eighteen long months, you have stood up, one by one, and said enough to the politics of the past...You have shown what history teaches us – that at defining moments like this one, the change we need doesn't come from Washington. Change comes TO Washington. Change happens because the American people demand it – because they rise up and insist on new ideas and new leadership, a new politics for a new time.

America, this is one of those moments.


An oldie but goodie:


A fairly ridiculous (but mildly amusing) anti-McCain parody: "No, You Cant."


2 comments:

Chadlee said...

We were completely glued to the TV. It was a great speech and even better because he truly meant it and believed it, like you said.

MacDuff said...

As a Hillary supporter, I was slow to become truly enamored (poor word choice, but still) with Barack Obama. But after watching his speech last night, I felt I truly got it. Thanks for posting this - it's good to see bloggers embracing political action AS WELL AS baking kickass cookies.